Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Happy Birthday Elder Rebollo-Feb 28 !

Week 41 2/24/2014


“I feel so blessed to know this special family and to help them follow Jesus Christ. I know without a doubt that the Gospel blesses families and brings true happiness to them like nothing else in the world can.”

Hello everyone! 

Thanks for your letters this week, they were really nice. I can't believe that this Friday is my birthday either! Last year on my birthday I already knew that I would be out here by this time, but last year that seemed so far away, but now here I am 9 and a half months into the mission. It's pretty crazy!  

This week was really good! Tuesday and Wednesday were good days of lessons and contacting. I walked with our district leader, he does one division with each elder every transfer. We went to Alfredo and Laura's so he could interview them for baptism. It went well, Alfredo and Laura, and Chaquito (whose real name is Ken) all did great! The rest of that day we taught lessons and did contacts, it was a really good day. 

Friday we had a zone meeting in Matola. Afterwards Elder Reed and I decided to stop and get lunch before going home. So we went to KFC-Yeah, I said KFC- it's the only fast food chain in Mozambique. It was pretty good, like KFC back home. I got chicken sandwich and fries and a drink for 275 meticais ($9, kind of expensive, but it was good).

Saturday was the big day of the wedding and baptism. It was a really special day. It was a double wedding and baptisms it was a really good ceremony. Alfredo showed up first in his really nice blue suit. Shortly after, Laura arrived, driven by the couple acting as the witnesses for the wedding. Her dress was really nice too. They were a great-looking wedding couple. 

They had a lot of family there too; half the people in attendance were their family members. The wedding ceremony, done by the branch president, President Mulungo, went well. There were some of the relief society sisters singing as the couples signed the marriage book and kissed. Then we went outside to take pictures before they changed into the baptismal clothes. 



After the baptism, we sang and had a prayer to close the ceremony. Then the couples cut the cake. There was just one cake there for the two couples, but it was a huge cake. There was more singing and presenting of gifts, then it was pretty much over-But not for me and my companion. There was a party afterwards at the house of Alfredo's father, and we were invited. There were tables and chairs and lots of music and of course food. It was nice. We ate, had more cake, and watched some people dance, and congratulated the couple again.

Yesterday (Sunday), they were confirmed in sacrament meeting. They asked me to do the confirmations, so that was a really special moment. They were both super happy that finally the day had come and they are now married and baptized and confirmed members of the church was super happy for them too. I had the opportunity to be with this family from the first time we contacted Alfredo in the road, to the first lesson (almost exactly 3 months ago) until their baptism and confirmation. I feel so blessed to know this special family and to help them follow Jesus Christ. I know without a doubt that the Gospel blesses families and brings true happiness to them like nothing else in the world can.   

We are continuing to help other families get to baptism as well. Yesterday, five of our investigator families came to church, the highest number since I've gotten to T3. The work in this area is going really well. There are miracles happening every day. 

I'm glad to hear that things are going well with everyone at home. Elder Reed and I are getting along well. He's pretty laid back and easy to get along with, he is also a hard worker.

Mom and dad, I am glad to say that I am thankful that I haven't gotten really sick so far on my mission and also that I haven't gotten bit by mosquitoes lately, it hasn't been a problem, only once in Quelimane it was really bad, but it seems like mosquitoes don't like me so much anymore haha. Mom it’s fun that you are always curious of things that I don’t even think of, but since you asked, I use Colgate toothpaste and dove shampoo. You can find brands like that here in Maputo, but not in smaller cities or towns like Quelimane- at least not while I was there. The weather here has been pretty good. It's been hot, but not too bad. It should be cooling down more here in the next month or so.

Well, I hope you have another great week. I’m sure you will be thinking of me this Friday for my birthday. You know that I love all of you so much, I  thank you for all you have done for me and all you continue to do for me! I know I will also be thinking about you and Dad and Jacob a lot on Friday. I look forward to hearing from you all again next week!

Love,

Josh 

Elder Rebollo’s birthday is this Friday Feb. 28,

If you would like to send him a birthday greeting here is his email address:

joshua.rebollo@myldsmail.net





No comments:

Post a Comment