Monday, May 12, 2014

Week 52- This week marks a year since I left home to server my mission here in Africa

May 12, 2014  T3

“I'm thoroughly convinced that the only way for a family to have true happiness and unity, regardless of their circumstances, is through the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is the straight and narrow path that leads to eternal life with our families” 
Dear family,
Happy Birthday this week to the three of you Mom, Dad and Jacob.  This week on the 15th, is also my one year anniversary in my mission, its seems more like six months rather than a year, the time has gone super fast. That's nice that you were able to record our Skype conversation, I guess you'll be watching that for the next 7 months until Christmas haha. I was really happy to see that you are all doing well and are healthy and the house looks great too! And Hunter still is the same old fat dog. It was nice to have that family prayer. I wanted to have you say it, being the head of the family and also not having heard you guys pray in over a year. In addition to that, I probably wouldn't have been able to pray in English very well without going into Portuguese haha.
Thank you for your comments, I really appreciate them. I know that while I'm out here I'm not only representing Christ, I'm representing you, my family.
Mom, the cold shower thing doesn't really bother me anymore. But you never really get used to that moment when the cold water hits your skin in the morning. Its a good way to wake up, though.-. I'm glad also you were able to meet Elder Alfredo. He enjoyed meeting you guys too.
Anyway, my week was good. As always, it flew by super-fast. I'm halfway through this transfer (and mission), only three weeks left until the next one.



Calling home on Mother's day

The tie I'm wearing was made by one of our members



After I hung up with you guys, it was already almost 9pm. The office elders took us to the central part of the city for us to get a chapa to T3. But by that time, the chapas had pretty much stopped running. So we found a taxi to get us home. There were four of us: me, Elder Alfredo, Elder Dustin, and Elder Thurston. The last two elders I mentioned wanted to stop at KFC on the way back so the taxi stopped and waited while they went in to get food. They got food for all of us, even for the taxi driver haha. So it was 10 at night at this point, and we were eating KFC in a taxi on the way home. It was nice. We ended up going to bed at 11 that night.
The next day at church, President Kretly visited the branch and gave the lesson in the Sunday school hour for all the members and investigators. He talked to them about the importance of family history and temple work. Everyone enjoyed it. President Kretly is a great teacher and he's pretty funny too, he likes to joke around with all the members. He's a fantastic mission president, just what Mozambique needs right now. The afternoon after church was good too, we passed by the houses of some members and investigators. They are all doing well, for the most part. 
Elder Alfredo, my companion meets my family through skype

I'm super grateful for the chance we had to talk on Saturday. I liked it a lot better than at Christmas, it felt more private and relaxed this time. I think it's because it was just the three of you this time and here, there weren’t any missionaries in the room while I was talking with you guys. We ended up talking for a little over an hour, but it felt shorter than that. Just so you know, I wasn't the only missionary to get emotional that night. I saw a few other elders come out of the room with red, teary eyes--haha. I think that was the first time I've got that emotional since a year ago, the day I left for the MTC. I don't like when I get choked up because I feel like I'm not able to express myself the way I want to. I don't even remember what I was saying to you guys at the end, or if it even made sense. But I just wanted to express to you guys my immense gratitude for having a family as special as you guys.
During the past week we learned that one investigator family is having some relationship problems, to the point where the husband was abusing his wife. It's pretty sad how these things happen, not only here, but all over the world. I'm thoroughly convinced that the only way for a family to have true happiness and unity, regardless of their circumstances, is through the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is the straight and narrow path that leads to eternal life with our families. In the celestial kingdom, there will be no disappointment, contention, no misunderstandings, just happiness. All we need to do is get through those things during this life. I don't have a greater knowledge than the knowledge I have of this gospel.
I hope you have a good week and stay happy and healthy!
I love you,

Josh

 

No comments:

Post a Comment