Monday, October 6, 2014

Week 73- Leaving Matola after almost a year. Hello Beira!!


…these past two months were two of my most challenging; I had to learn much more patience and perseverance and maintain a good attitude. I have learned to rely more on our Heavenly Father for guidance and inspiration, I always knew that obedience is the Key to success. I'm grateful that the Lord sent me to this place to live and serve the people here, I have no words to describe the lessons I have learned while serving in this area; this is truly the work of the Lord and we are in his service.”
Dear family
I’m always very excited to read your emails. Mondays seem to come so fast every week. I was thinking a lot about general conference the past couple days, thanks for your notes and quotes you shared. That's pretty cool that some speakers were able to give talks in their native languages. I think it's an excellent idea and a good change too, being that most members of the church live  outside the United States anyway. Today I'm being transferred out of Matola 1!! I have been transferred up north to Beira and will serve in the Mascarenha Branch in the Manga zone. I will be flying up to Beira tonight. My flight leaves at 9pm.
I was very surprised by this transfer. I was hoping to stay here in Matola and felt like I would.   When transfers come, some are happy and others not as much because they become very strongly attached to the place and the people they serve. It really doesn't make sense to not be happy over transfers, because it's the will of the Lord. I know that President Kretly was called by the prophet of God to direct the work here and now I'm going up to Beira to help build the Lord’s kingdom there.
I've learned so many things the past 11 months working in the Matola zone and the last 3 months working in this area as a district leader and trainer. I’m excited to tell you guys all about my first week in my new area. I've never been to Beira, It's one of the main centers of the missionary force in the mission here. The fact that I've been in Matola for as long as I have and it's just now that I'm going to serve there was a little unexpected, that’s because most missionaries get to serve in Beira at least once in their mission here. I think I was the only one who had been on the mission the longest without serving in Beira, but now I get to go. I’m also happy to say I'm leaving Matola on a high note. We had a really great week and found many new investigators. I'm certain that this area will have family baptisms in the coming weeks and months. I won't lie, this area in Matola was my hardest area and these past two months were two of my most challenging;  I had to learn much more patience and perseverance and maintain a good attitude. I have learned to rely more on our Heavenly Father for guidance and inspiration, I learned that obedience is the Key to success. I'm grateful that the Lord sent me to this place to live and serve the people here, I have no words to describe the lessons I have learned while serving in this area; this is truly the work of the Lord and we are in his service.
This past week was pretty good though. I did two divisions this week with members of my district. On Tuesday I walked with Elder Jemuce, a Mozambican missionary serving here waiting to go to Angola. We worked in his area. It was a pretty nice day. On Friday I worked in my area with Elder Roberts, from Arizona. We had a lot of lessons fall through that day, but we got a lot of nice contacts. The other days we had a lot of success in finding and teaching new families. This week we picked up 12 new investigators! Some of these new investigators have more potential to progress than others, but it's always good when we can find a good group like that. It's necessary to find and teach as many people as possible so we can find the ones that are prepared. In the process we find a lot that aren’t' prepared. But that just brings us closer to finding the ones that are.  Me and Elder Caetano got along super well; he is a really good missionary and will do well in working with his new companion and showing him the area.
Yesterday's church meetings were very good. Since we don't watch conference live, it was a normal testimony meeting. We had a good number of new investigators show up, so it was very encouraging.

After church all the missionaries in my district got together for dinner, to break the fast. We made ribs and mashed potatoes and chicken and salad and cake. It was so good! One of the elders had a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's that his parents sent him, so those ribs were almost as good as the ones back home. It was the first time the Mozambicans missionaries in our house had BBQ ribs and mashed potatoes, needless to say they liked them a lot too haha. This was kind of a farewell dinner for those of us leaving the area. I am so grateful to have been able to serve with all the elders in my district. It’s been an honor serving with all of these guys.  

Anyway, I miss you guys so much. Fall is one of my favorite times of year, I wish I could be there to see the leaves changing colors and go to the Halloween stores. But next year, I'm there. Thanks for praying for me and thinking of me every day. I'm really happy to be here and am enjoying every day, the good and the bad. Stay healthy and active like you're doing. I love you!!!

Have a great week!!
Love,
Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment