Monday, July 21, 2014

Week 62. My first week in Matola 1

July 21, 2014

Dear Family,

This week went by pretty quick. I’m sure it was because everything was new to me: new area, new companion, new house, and new responsibilities. On Monday, after I got off of internet,  Elder Conde and I went home to pack our things. I left later that afternoon and it was only a 25 minute drive to the house in Matola.
After getting there and unpacking some of my things, we went out to work  in the evening.  I found out that my new area is a lot smaller than T3.  It covers three neighborhoods in the city of Matola,  and the chapel is located in this area. My new companion is Elder Keck, he has been in this area for a few months.
This week I had the chance to visit and meet with all our investigators and some of the members. Every person I met is really nice.  it is great to know that one of the families that the missionaries here have been teaching, will be getting married and baptized this Saturday, they are Inacio and Efegenia. There are two other families that are making progress and should be baptized in the very near future. We will focus on finding more new families to teach  anywhere we can find them, but we also want to spend a little more time working in the neighborhood surrounding  the church.
Matola seems to be an area a little more well off than other areas where I have been. I see a lot of nice houses  and nice streets.  Our house is very nice and very big,  it is located on a main road, close to shopping places and some restaurants. There is even a KFC about five minutes away from the house.  When we go out in the afternoons we can smell KFC in the air. I guess I will have to go eat there some time while I'm here.  All the missionaries in my district live in this house, but that's ok because it has so much space, that it doesn't feel crowded. The district is made up of: Elders Roberts, Palu, Reinstein, Jemuce (Mozambican), Keck (my comp), Thomas, and Van Leuven. (Elder Thomas was my MTC comp, so it is really cool that we get to work in the same district again after more than a year)  We had  our first district meeting here on Friday, and it went really well. One of my responsibilities is to facilitate a small training session in district meetings every week.  This time I did my training on unity and how we need to work as one with our companions, with our district, and with the branch.
I am really enjoying being here. I still need a bit more time to feel completely familiar with the area and to feel more of a connection with the investigators.  I can see that this area has a lot of potential for growth. I haven't felt any additional pressure being a district leader (DL) thus far, as you know I was the DL when I was at the MTC, but being a DL here in the mission field is a lot different because we carry on our shoulders the responsibilities of the work that we do for the people in our assigned areas.  I thank you for your words of advice and encouragement. I know The Lord will help me as I seek His help and seek to do His will. This is an opportunity for growth and learning.

Church yesterday was  great, we had over 180 people.  It was nice going to church at the Matola chapel yesterday, it was the first Sunday that I was in a church building tha was built by the Church here since I have been in Mozambique.
I don't know most of the members here or the branch presidency yet, but I'm excited to get to know them and work with them, I am very excited about that.

Today in the morning we went to a field at a school here in Matola and we played soccer with missionaries from Matola 2 and Maputo, It was a lot of fun. 
Well, that's all for now, I love you all so much and I thank you for everything you do for me

Until next week,

Josh

Pictures from T3











No comments:

Post a Comment