Tuesday, November 12, 2013

I'm now in T3 (An area near Maputo

Week 26—11/11/2013  T3 (A suburb between Matola and Maputo)
“I was surprised to find out of my transfer out of Quelimane and was a little sad to say goodbye, to all the members, investigators, and Elder Heaton. I have a lot of good memories there. I hope to return someday”
Hello again family!!!
I was so happy to read your email letters this week. I thought you guys might be anxious to hear back from me, considering I'm in a new area now. This past week has been a little crazy with the transfer and all, but it was a really good week.
Elders Rebollo and Heaton


I was surprised to find out of my transfer out of Quelimane and was a little sad to say goodbye, to all the members, investigators, and Elder Heaton. I have a lot of good memories there. I hope to return some day. I found out on Monday morning and left early Tuesday afternoon, so I didn't have time to see all the people I wanted to before I left or take all the pictures I wanted, but here l have a few for you guys.  

Saying good bye to Joaquina and daughters, unfortunately her husband Gomes and older kids were out
There was a family night that same Monday night, so it was nice to see a lot of the branch members there and a couple investigators and say good bye to them. 

Here I am saying good bye to Walter and his family

Then on Tuesday I packed up my stuff in the morning, went to Walter and Darmin's house to have lunch. They made rice and beans and crab for me, it was really good. Then we went to the airport and I got to say hi to the elder coming in my place before I got on the plane.

Elder Bender, my new companion, met me at the airport and a member gave us a ride to the house in T3. The house here is really nice! I'd say it's definitely one of the nicest houses on the mission; I will be sending pics next week for sure. T3 is like a suburb between the city of Matola and Maputo. Maputo and Matola are like one big city pretty much. Things here are definitely a lot busier than in Quelimane, there are tons of cars, chapas, and people. (“Chapas” are mini vans that go all over the city, it’s basically the mass transit system here) The next day on Wednesday we went shopping for groceries, after all the elders in our district had arrived.
There are 6 elders living together in this house and all of us are our own district. The other four are Elders Allen, Ndala (from Angola), Barroso (from Brazil), and Herd. Everyone seems like a cool bunch. My companion has just about 3 months more on the mission than I do, and he started out in Quelimane too with Elder Seoane. So we've had fun talking about all the people in Quelimane and how things are going there. We get along super well. He likes to have fun with the work and likes to joke around, so we've been having a pretty good time so far.
He has been here in T3 since July, so he knows the area really well. I'm excited for this week I can hardly wait to start working. This area we work in is really big and has a lot of people, but we need more progressing investigators than we have now, so we'll get to work on that right away.
The church meetings are not held in a church-built chapel, it's a building that the church is renting out, but it's pretty big. There are individual classrooms for primary, relief society, elders’ quorum, young men’s, and young women’s, and the sacrament meeting room is really big too. There were about 100 people that came to church. I would have thought it would be higher, though. President Kretly came to visit the branch yesterday and gave a talk. He told the branch how they have to help re activate the inactive members and help the missionaries more in finding and teaching investigators. I can see that a lot of the things we did in Quelimane might help here, so I'm excited to start working with the branch here like we did there.

I'm glad you sent my package out. I do hope that it will get to me in time for Christmas. I can't really think of anything else that I would want at this time. Don't forget to send me a small calendar, like I mentioned in my email last week.
The weather here was hot for a few days but the past couple days has been cooler and cloudy, which is nice.
It's nice that President sent you guys that email- I definitely feel safe here, and feel that President and Sister Kretly really care for our safety. I already have that biosense lotion, President gave us a bottle when he visited Quelimane. You can send some hand sanitizer, if you want though. I haven't had any health problems, except weight loss, but it hasn't been unhealthy (By the way, I lost 20lbs so far) I have been really blessed; I can honestly say I've not been sick once so far on the mission, not even a little bit, besides being tired sometimes, but that literally happens to everyone. I'll make sure to be keeping myself as healthy as I can.
I hope you guys are making it through the weeks alright and not getting too tired. I'm glad you're doing well too, Jacob! Not too long until Christmas break already!

This P-day has been pretty awesome. We went to the Matola chapel and played basketball and soccer with a bunch of other elders and some sisters. It was nice to meet and talk with a lot of them. It's weird to be around so many missionaries after 4 months of being far away with only one other missionary. Then we came here to do internet. We do internet in Magoanine, which is another area near Maputo. After this we will go do shopping, and then get on a chapa to get back to T3. The grocery store here is like ones in the US, there is so much selection, and it was kind of overwhelming when we went there on Wednesday haha. But overall it hasn't been too hard adjusting to the new environment, I like it a lot. I'm super excited to have a normal week and get to work.
I love you all so much. Thank you for your letters again and for all your thoughts and prayers for me. Always know that I'm safe and happy and having a great time here. I wish I had time to write more, but I kind of had a long wait here for the computer, and we have to go shopping for the week soon. We are getting our house sprayed with permethrin today so we have to go shopping and drop the food off at home and get out of the house before they start. (We have a senior couple, the Hobsons that are based in the T3 branch. Elder Hobson is the one coming over to spray our house.)
Anyway, have a happy week everyone, until next week!!

Elder Rebollo

No comments:

Post a Comment