Monday, March 10, 2014

More rain than I've ever seen. I will stay in T3 training a new companion



Week 43--  3/10/2014 T3

"The roads were filled with huge puddles. We were walking in water past our knees most of the way home”
Dear Family,

I'm glad you liked the pictures I posted on the website. First of all, I'll tell you about transfers: I will be staying in T3 another 6 weeks! My companion, Elder Reed, is getting transferred to Tete. My new companion is Elder Alfredo, from Cape Verde. He is new to the mission, and I will be training him. My district changed a lot. Out of the 6 of us in the house now, 4 are native Portuguese speakers; the only ones that aren't are me and Elder Dustin, another new missionary, from Bountiful. It should be an interesting new transfer. I'm excited for the opportunity to train a new missionary. The next six weeks will be great as I continue to work with the wonderful people here in T3.

This past week was awesome, but extremely rainy! It was by far the rainiest week since I’ve been here in Mozambique. On Tuesday we were teaching a lesson when it started pouring and because of the metal roofs that are on most houses, the rain hitting it makes a lot of noise, which made it impossible to teach a lesson. We decided to reschedule with the family for another day and run home before it got dark. The roads were filled with huge puddles. We were walking in water past our knees most of the way home. Of course, we changed into dry clothes when we got home. The family we were visiting was super nice; they lent me an umbrella to take on the way home, since I didn't bring one with me. The next few days we walked with boots.  In the house here we have tall rain boots, so I used those instead of the ones I have. The ones I brought are better for walking in the mud, not in lot of water. Anyway, it rained again on Sunday, just as hard. And again, thinking it wasn't going to rain, I didn't take an umbrella. We were about a 40 minute walk away from the house and the roads were like rivers. I got completely drenched, everything was wet! But it's nice to come back to a safe, dry house and put on dry clothes.  One bad thing about this weather is that the power and water go out. It doesn't last for too long though. Thankfully, we have a good supply of drinking water stored up in the house.  Today we are going around with boots again. I hope it doesn't rain anymore and the water will start to dry up. Besides the weather, the work went really well this week. We found a few new investigator families that have potential. I've seen a lot of growth in this area since I got here. At the beginning, we only had 2 families that were progressing. Now we have 10. I'm so glad that I will be able to stay in this area for another 6 weeks. I hope and pray that the miracles will continue in this area.

I'm glad you guys all had a good week. It's nice to hear that things at church are going well and you are enjoying your calling.  Mom, to answer your questions, yes I do set an alarm every day to wake up. And we get up at the same time on P days too, 6:30 every morning. I've gotten pretty used to it. I still think sometimes how it would be nice to sleep in, but I'll have plenty of time to do that when I go home.  So you went forward one hour right? So you lost an hour of sleep on Sunday, I guess you must have been tired all day. It's always hard to get used to that.  Thank you for the picture of hunter, I love that dog. I hope he's still healthy; I want him to be there for me next year.

Thank you for sending me those care packages, I really hope that at least one make it here. Especially since you guys put so much effort into sending me something nice from home, I would hate to see them all get lost. There are missionaries here that have gotten every package sent to them. And there are others that like me have not received any of their packages. I think it's just a matter of luck. But with those ones you sent last month, they should be getting here at the end of this month or the next. I will let you know when I get any of them. 

Anyway, I hope you have another good week and you guys continue to have chances to relax and be together, even though work can be demanding.

I love you so much!!!

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment